Facebook SDK

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Removal of torrent links

For some reason, Google has decided that I have violated their copyrighted material policy and suspended my AdSense account. I tried to explain to them that the book offered on this site is one that I have written and, therefore, it is perfectly legal for me to provide links to it.

Additionally, I pointed out that I'm technically not violating copyright because the book is not copyrighted; it's copylefted due to the CC-BY license. Thus, there would be no copyright infringement even if I wasn't the author.

But, Google didn't see the wisdom of this argument and maintains that I am violating their policy. The only thing I can think is that they don't like the fact that I am posting links to my torrent files, as I was linking to my book's page on The Pirate Bay. Even though I wasn't linking to copyrighted material, the fact that The Pirate Bay has been blacklisted in the media apparently means there are no legitimate uses for it.

So, if you would like the torrent file, you will have to search for it yourself. I apologize for the inconvenience. I could simply ignore Google but, since this site (Blogger) is owned by Google, there is always the chance that they will yank my book's site down.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience but appreciate your understanding.

3 comments:

Adam D said...

It's sad Google doesn't seem to care about this. Their automated systems and inexperienced/outsourced staff either aren't being paid enough to care or hate their jobs.

If the horror stories about YouTube employment are anything to go by, I'd be inclined to think both are true!

Anonymous said...

You can always use Bing ads instead.

Anonymous said...

Time to leave Blogger and take all your business elsewhere. You know, somewhere were your rights are treated correctly.